Meeting of the Board
Neepawa United Church
October 17th, 2012
Present: Brian Bailey, Bob Durston, Donna Newton, Eleanor Nicholson, Ella Jarvis,
Rita Friesen, Ann Nielsen, Maurice Kaye, Terry Smith, Ruth Hanke, Susan Phillips,
Brian Elgert, Rev. Peggy Reid and Lyle Byram.
Regrets: Heather Cummings and Judy Elgert.
1. Brian called the meeting to order at 5:00 p.m.
2. Rev. Peggy Reid gave the opening Meditation and Prayer.
3. The agenda was approved as circulated. Moved by Terry Smith and seconded
by Anne Nielsen. Carried. Brian then expressed “thanks” to Ivan Traill for the
comfortable chairs he donated for the Board Room.
4. The Minutes of the September Board meeting requires an amendment to
Motion #3 – that the Pathfinders meet on Tuesdays 6:00 – 7:30 p.m.
and Guides meet on Wednesdays 7:00 – 8:30 p.m.
Donna made an amendment to Minutes that Neepawa requires a representative on Ministry and Personnel and not on Larger Parish.
Donna Newton moved the adoption of the Minutes as amended and seconded
by Maurice Kaye. Carried.
5. Correspondence –
· Information on Global Vision Conference
· Booklet on Gifts with Vision
· Amber reported to Brian that Bill Fraser, Ron Petch and Les Richardson
worked one afternoon at raking and cleaning the leaves in the Church yard.
Our thanks go to these gentlemen!!!!!
· A letter received from the ARHA requesting space for the meeting of the
Parent’s Coalition twice a month as in previous years.
Motion: Moved by Ruth Hanke and seconded by Ann Nielsen that the Neepawa
United Church accept the request from the ARHA’s Parent’s Coalition, twice
a month from October to May for a cost of $400.00 Carried.
6. Business arising from the Minutes
a) Every Sunday TV from our Church – Discussion on setting up a committee
to set up a monthly calendar of workers to manage this. Greg Heschuk has
agreed to head this committee. The camera is still available to purchase and
we would require to purchase a DVD player to record the service.
Motion: Moved by Terry Smith and seconded by Maurice Kaye that we purchase
a video camera from Access 12 for the sum of $300.00 to have every Sunday
for TV from our Church. Carried.
b) Brian has sent a thank you to Steve Goudie for the computer he has
donated to the Church for use in the Sunday School. Discussion on
making it wi fi and would require a router for about $99 and this
would have to be MTS equipment. Brian to obtain a quote from CN suppliers.
Discussion on the concern of using wi fi and a password.
c) Information Board in Narthax – Rita reported that work in process.
Brian reported that a Memorial Donation to the UCW in the amount of $250.
has been received and Brian wondered if this money could be used for this
Board. Rita reported that the numbers have to be prepared and could
possibly be used in this area.
d) Projector/screen proposal from Benmarks. Brian presented
a second quote from Benmarks for a single screen at a cost
of $9,250.87. Discussion on the purchase of projector and screen.
Motion: Moved by Donna Newton and seconded by Rita Friesen that we
accept the proposal from Benmark’s of Brandon for two projection/screen
installation in our Church sanctuary at the cost of $14,984.93. We will
pay for additional construction costs relative to installations. Carried.
Those opposed Ann Nielsen and Terry Smith.
Motion: Moved by Bob Durston and seconded by Eleanor Nicholson that the
Church raise 50% of cost of projection equipment and installation prior to
purchasing of the equipment. Cost estimated at $20,000.00 Other 50%
to be born by Memorial Fund. Donor names to be recorded in Memorial Book
as donors to projection equipment project fund. Carried.
e) Library – Rita reported the library is up and ready. Books are color coded
And are available for take out during Church office hours.
The books are in three categories: children`s books; resource books
and books on Grief and Dying.
f) Fall Stewardship campaign has begun with envelopes being sent out.
A second letter will be sent out in late November for those who do not
g) Daycare in CEC – no report to date.
h) Trail Mix on Sunday – discussion on providing a lunch for Trail Mix
following the service. Brian to check and see if the group would be
available to stay after the service. Ann and Donna will co-ordinate.
7. Old Business
· Search Committee – meeting set for October 29th.
· Gap committee – no report.
8. Committee Reports:
· Worship – Anne reported she has been in contact with the families requesting
baptism and that Rita is now available for sacraments. Families are now to come
forward for Amber to arrange dates that are available and forward that
information to concerned parties.
· Blue Christmas on December 20th, 2012 at 7:30 p.m. and Rita will preside.
· Carolling on December 17th, 2012 – time to be arranged
· Sunday School are wanting supper and sleep over on November 9th, 2012 as no school.
· Sheila brought to our attention that the brunches for Sept. October and January
are being done away with as there are no team captains. One suggestion was to
have coffee and muffins at 10:30. Further revisions are forthcoming.
· Daniel Heschuk away Feb. March and April with regards to sound box –
Nora Heschuk has a replacement.
· There is a call out for 2014 calendar photos. Worship committee thought
to take a picture of the UCW fabric wall hanging to send in for the calendar.
Motion: Moved by Ann Nielsen and seconded by Susan Phillips that the worship committee
purchase 200 clear advent candle sets at a cost of $88.00 per 100 units plus shipping,
handling and applicable taxes. Total cost approximately $217.00. Carried.
B) Pastoral Care – Eleanor reported they have sent 4 Sympathy messages;
3 Get Well messages; 3 Thinking of you messages for the month of September.
C) Mission and Service – Susan Phillips reported that
· October 12th – Susan spoke to youth group talking about hunger in the
world and work of Canadian Food Grains.
· October 14th – special offering for Food Grains about $200 to date.
· Talked to each UCW unit about our Anniversary National project in
· The M & S Committee led the worship service on October 14th.
· Movie Night is Wednesday, October 24th.
· Copies available of the Gifts with Vision.
D) Ministry & Personnel – no report
E) Treasurer Report – Bob presented the Financial Report to September 30th
2012 Total income $112,769.50
2012 Total expense 151,618.50
Deficit $ - 38,849.00
Moved by Bob Durston and seconded by Ann Nielsen that the Treasurer`s
Report be approved as presented. Carried.
Bob reported he has been talking with an Investment Company in respect to
dealing with Stock that has been left to the Church. The donor receives a
receipt for the face value of the stock and it is distributed through the Head
office of the United Church of Canada.
F) Property – Terry Smith will continue on the Property Committee with
Maurice Kaye helping him. Terry advised there is some air conditioning and heating
problems and he has been advised that the boiler needs to be replaced and
the cost would be $5295.00 plus taxes.
Motion: Moved by Terry Smith and seconded by Brian Elgert that Neepawa United
Church replace our heating system boiler for the sanctuary for a cost of $5295.00
plus taxes and freight. Boiler life has come to its end. Purchase from Four
Seasons Mechanical who is presently servicing our system. Funds to come
from Building Fund. Carried.
G) Finance – Choir Fund raiser to be held in May, 2013.
H) UCW – Donna reported in Heather`s absence
Rummage Sale - $610.20
Fall supper – October 28th
Fall Rally at Oakville – October 18th
Anniversary Service – November 4th
Christmas Party – December 5th
Susan Phillips presented information on the 50th Anniversary
M & S offering in Tanzania Morogoro.
Motion: Moved by Donna Newton and seconded by Ella Jarvis that we revise
the funeral policy for the suggested donation of funeral lunches
effective January, 2013
*cookies and beverages $3.00
*fruitbread, cheese, pickles, dainties & beverages 4.00
*open face buns, pickles, dainties & beverages 5.00
Ann Nielsen opposed to motion Carried.
I) Ministerial – Peggy reported the Advent Liturgy is prepared.
J) Trustees – no report
K) Larger Parish – no report
L) Presbytery – Rita reported that her and Ella Jarvis attended and
advised that Mather Church has closed. Carman has a Wee Care
child care in their church for day care and before and after school care
for rental of $500 per month.
Roland Church has been sold for $1.00
There are 20 pastoral charges and there are now 9 vacancies.
M) Special Reports – There were 6 men in attendance at the Men`s breakfast
on the 2nd Tuesday of the month.
A discussion on the windows at Country Meadows that are not up to date
and chapel is being used for storage.
Motion: Moved by Terry Smith and seconded by Ann Nielsen that the reports be
accepted as presented. Carried.
Motion: Moved by Bob Durston and seconded by Ruth Hanke that Neepawa United
Church support Rita Friesen`s attendance at Calling Lakes November 9th with
travel, registration and expenses. Carried.
I) Meeting was adjourned at 6:30 and the New Business will be on next meeting.
J) Next meeting will be on Tuesday, November 20th at 5:00 p.m.
K) Rev. Peggy Reid gave the closing prayer.
1. That the Neepawa United Church accept the request from the ARHA`s Parent Coalition,
twice a month from October to May for a cost of $400.
2. That we purchase a video camera from Access 12 for the sum of $300. to have every
Sunday TV from our church.
3. That we accept the proposal from Benmark`s of Brandon for 2 projection – screen installation
in our church sanctuary at the cost of $14,984.93 . We will also pay for additional construction
costs related to installation.
4. That the Church raise 50% of cost of projection equipment installation prior to purchasing
the equipment. Cost is estimated at $20,000. Other 50% of costs be born by Memorial Fund.
Donor names to be recorded in Memorial book as donors to projection equipment project fund.
5. That the worship committee purchase 200 clear advent candle sets at a cost of $88.00 per 100
plus shipping, handling and applicable taxes. Total cost approximately $217.00.
6. That Neepawa United Church replace our heating system boiler for the sanctuary for a cost of
$5295. plus taxes and freight. Boiler life has come to its end. Purchase from Four Seasons
Mechanical who is presently servicing our system. Funds come from Building Fund.
7. That we revise the funeral policy for the suggested donation of funeral lunches
a) cookies, beverages $3.00
b) fruit bread, pickles, dainties and beverage - $4.00
c) open face buns, pickles, dainties and beverage $5.00
8. That Neepawa United Church support Rita Friesen’s attendance at Calling Lakes on
November 9th with travel and registration expenses.