Meeting of the Board
Neepawa United Church
Present: Brian Bailey, Donna Newton, Bob Durston, Ann Nielsen, Maurice Kaye,
Rev. Peggy Reid, Rita Friesen, Ella Jarvis, Judy Elgert, Brian Elgert,
Ruth Hanke and Lyle Byram.
Regrets: Susan Phillips and Eleanor Nicholson.
1. Brian Bailey called the Meeting to order at
2. Rev. Peggy Reid gave the opening Meditation and Prayer.
3. The Agenda was approved with the addition of Wedding Policy
under New Business. Moved by Ann Nielsen and seconded by Judy Elgert.
4. The Minutes had corrections with Donna Nelson corrected to read Donna Newton
under number 3. Also Motion for Baptism should read Jeffrey and Kelly Smith.
Moved by Maurice Kay and seconded by Ruth that the Minutes be approved as
· Lyle reported she received a request from the Lily Festival to change the time from to p. on Thursday, July 18th on motion of February 19th.
This request was approved by the Board.
· Brian read a concern from Wayne Zalluski that on April 14th there were candles left on and lights on at . Discussion on duties of caretaker – doors to be locked.
· Discussion on someone to be responsible to close up and shut out lights
on Sunday morning.
Brian read an invitation from
Sessions presented by Kathryn Hofley on “Church Finances” and
“Planned Giving” on May 4th and 5th. Peggy Reid said we could invite
Kathryn Hofley come and present these sessions here. Brian will contact
her and discuss setting up a date here in the Fall.
6. Business arising from the Minutes
a) Progress on funds raised for Projector/screen project – Bob reported there has
been little to no interest for sometime.
b) Church History update – no report
· Music Dedication – Donna reported that the committee wishes the proceeds from this to go to the general account of the Church.
· Bob explained the Building Fund and the Memorial Fund –
The Memorial Fund is for use in the Sanctuary only and Building Fund
is for general and major repairs.
c) WiFi and every Sunday TV updates – stipend consideration
· Greg Heschuk doing the video every Sunday.
· Discussion was held on the policy for sound and video
· Judy Elgert reported the computer in the Sunday School is very slow
d) Sound Policy for weddings –
· Donna, Brian and Ann presented the revised sound policy for weddings.
Discussion on this policy.
e) Spring Supper – Donna reported everything seems to be ready for the
“Spring Supper” on Sunday, April 21st from .
f) Defibrillator progress
· Brian Elgert has looked into this but the deadline has passed for a free one.
7. Old Business
a) Search Committee report – still searching
8. Committee Reports:
A) Larger Parish –
· Donna reported that Amber sometimes has a problem with the
computer and wondered if there are some computer people in the congregation
that she could call when there is a problem.
· Brookdale Supper is April 28th. Brookdale has had 2 baptisms in 2013.
· Next meeting is May 17th.
· Last Service at Brookdale before summer is June 23rd.
B) Pastoral Care
· Ruth Hanke reported the cards sent out for the month of March
7 sympathy --- 2 get well ---- 2 “thinking of you” – 6 observing the one
year anniversary of a loss
The pastoral care committee wish to thank Gerry Nelson for the lovely
cards she made and gave to the committee to use.
C) Mission & Service – no report.
D) Ministry & Personnel – no report.
E) Treasurer – Bob presented the Financial report: comparative figures
March 31/13 March 31/12
Income $34,875.68 $35,210.64
Expenses 29,991.83 44,217.56
Surplus/Def 4,883.85 - 9,006.92
Moved by Bob Durston and seconded by Judy Elgert that the Treasurer’s Report
be approved as presented. Carried.
F) Property –
· Maurice Kay reported that they have chipped some ice away on the roof.
build up on
are away. Discussion regarding their contract. Brian and Maurice will meet with
Wayne and Joyce to come to some agreement.
G) Finance – Brian and Susan working on a Fund Raiser of hosting a Reader’s Theatre
Group along with NACI in the Fall.
H) UCW –
· Donna reported that we had an excellent Rummage Sale and raised $3,248.25.
The Soup and
I) Ministerial – Peggy Reid
· Peggy suggested that a summary of church funeral costs be posted
on the Church website. Also list the names of people on the Church Board
for people to call if they have any concerns or questions.
· To remind people that Amber is Secretary for pastoral charge which
includes Arden and Brookdale and not just Neepawa.
J) Trustees – Judy Elgert – no report
K) Worship – Ann Nielsen
· Sunday School Children’s Day is May 26th with Youth Group hosting a
Spaghetti Lunch following the service.
· Choir participated in Fine Arts Festival and have helped out at Presbyterian
Church for a funeral and Good Friday Service.
· Holy Week music well received especially the Men’s participation.
· Search Committee still searching – candidates need to be a good fit for
all three charges.
· Tree has been purchased for Sanctuary at $300. plus taxes. Rita will
have a blessing on
· 100 carnations have been ordered for Mother’s Day and left overs
will go to shut ins or Country Meadows.
MOTION: Moved by Ann Nielsen and seconded by Rita Friesen that palm crosses
be ordered for Palm Sunday rather than palm branches next year 2014. Carried.
Dedication Sunday is
L) Presbytery – Rita Friesen reported meeting will be held in Morden on April 27th.
M) Special reports
· Men’s breakfast – Bob reported 4 in attendance and good discussion on
· Youth group – Sessions on until the end of June – group is growing with
· Sunday School – Kim doing well with group.
· Singles – Ella Jarvis reported group will meet on Wednesday. Brian will
send a “thank you” to Eileen Henton for her work with this group.
N) Moved by Rita Friesen and seconded by Bob Durston that all reports be accepted as reported. Carried.
9. New Business
a) A discussion was held and some changes were made to the “Wedding Policy and Information for Couples”.
MOTION: Moved by Ann Nielsen and seconded by Donna Newton that the Board
review and accept proposed changes that are highlighted regards wedding policy
and information for couples effective for weddings not already arranged. Carried.
10. Next meeting –
11. Rev. Peggy Reid gave the closing prayer.
12. Ann adjourned the meeting at
1. That palm crosses be ordered for palm Sunday rather than palm branches for
next year 2014.
2. That the Board review and accept proposed changes that are highlighted regards
Wedding Policy and Information For Couples effective for weddings not