Neepawa United Church
Meeting of the Board
Present: Brian Bailey, Donna Newton, Mark Satterly, Rita Friesen, Susan Phillips, Judy Elgert,
Terry Smith, Eleanor Nicholson, Brian Elgert, Maurice Kaye, Ann Nielsen, Ella Jarvis
and Lyle Byram.
Regrets: Bob Durston and Ruth Hanke
1. Brian Bailey called the meeting to order at
2. Mark gave the opening meditation and prayer.
3. The agenda was approved as circulated. Moved by Terry Smith and seconded by Ann Nielsen.
4. The Minutes of the March 19th meeting were approved with the change that Marie Angers and
Kathleen Swanson replaced Carolyn Durston on April 4th for hour Lenten music.
Motion moved by Donna Newton and seconded by Eleanor Nicholson. Carried.
presented information from
from the Leprosy
· The United Church Lenten magazine
· Letter from General Council office regarding Insurance
6. Business Arising from the Minutes
7. Old Business
A. JNAC – Donna reported the JNAC report was approved as written
at the April 1st meeting. Mark announced he will be leaving by
August 1st to
Donna will have more information regarding JNAC at the May meeting.
B. Pastoral Care Workshop will be held on May 9th to help those interested in visiting
people in their homes or the Care Home on behalf of the Church. Anyone interested in
this workshop are invited to attend.
C. Library is still in progress.
D. “Trail Mix” fundraiser – Donna reported it was very successful and raised close to
$900. Donna suggests Ann contact this group for a Sunday Service to provide music.
E. Donna reported the Spring Supper has been all planned and ready for Sunday, April 22nd.
8. Committee Reports:
MOTION: Moved by Ann Nielsen and seconded by Eleanor Nicholson that the Board honor
baptism of Malik Anthony Kimbeni,
son of Madison Brooke Johnston on
Hazel Peters sponsored. Carried.
MOTION: That the Board accept the transfer of Frances Kulbacki’s membership from Neepawa
United Church to
Knox United Church in
MOTION: That the
Group will have wind up
· Choir participated in Festival on April 17th and learned a few things on diction, projection
and correct notes. A great job was done by all participants.
· Wonderful comments were forwarded from the congregation regards Easter music and
participation of youth-children.
· Our Country Meadows folk enjoyed their worship time in the sanctuary. Still need help
for Terry at Country Meadows end for confirmed loading and unloading.
· Carnations have been ordered for Mother`s day. We are still working on Father`s Day
· Grad Sunday will be June 24th. Working on presenters to address the graduates.
· Sound system personnel are still in the offing regards replacing Tyler Stillwell when
· A Remit for Larger Parish was presented to add 1940 Statement of Faith, a new Creed
(1968) and 2005 Song of Faith. It was decided to ignore and it would be defeated.
B) Pastoral Care
· Eleanor reported they sent 7 Get Well wishes, 6 Sympathy messages, 1 Thinking of you as
well as one home visit.
C) Mission and Service
· Susan reported the Lenten Calendars raised $372.00 which has brought the total to $4129.60
which is down $60.00 from last year. Committee to come up with a plan for raising funds.
D) Ministry and Personnel – No report
E) Treasurer report – Bob left his report and Brian presented his report.
2012 Total Income $35,210.64
2012 Total Expenses 44,217.56
Deficit - 9,006.92
MOTION: Moved by Ann Nielsen and seconded by Judy Elgert that the Treasurer Report be approved as
· Terry reported he has received two estimates for the front door openers from two local businesses.
MOTION: Moved by Terry Smith and seconded by Brian Elgert that we accept Thomas Windows and Glass
for installation of wireless door opener for one door only for $3247.02 including taxes. Carried.
· Caretaking Staff – Terry reported that the caretakers Wayne Zalluski and Joyce Kingdon
advised they have a caretaker hourly
agreement with the
summer. They both advised they would
accept this position for another year.
take August off and Joyce would take July off and would work Tuesday through Thursday.
Terry to set
up a new agreement with Wayne and Joyce that would go to
Discussion on the caretaker wages and it was decided to raise the wage to $16.00 per hour.
MOTION: Moved by Terry Smith and seconded by Judy Elgert that we pay our caretakers $16.00 per hour
MOTION: Moved by Terry Smith and seconded by Ann Nielsen that we hire Trevor Smith to mow the
grass for the season at $15.00 per mow (under Terry s supervision). Carried.
· Donna reported that the rummage sale made around $640.00
· Spring Supper set for April 22nd
· 50th Anniversary of UCW – plans are being made
· Mark asked if there is any policy on Baptism on Mothers Day
· Arrangements to be made for August weddings
I) Trustees Report
· Judy reported she received a phone call from Manitoba Hydro and MTS regarding easement on Church
property. Brian Bailey has been talking to these people and will follow up on this matter.
MOTION: Moved by Lyle Byram and seconded by Ann Nielsen that Chair Brian Bailey be authorized to
sign the Grant of Easement with Manitoba Hydro and MTS relative to the services of our Church.
C) Larger Parish
· Larger Parish meeting on May 1st. Oversight Committee to go to Carberry on April 25th.
· Rita is attending Presbytery in Morris. Nominations are open for Chair of Presbytery or Chairolet
E) Fund Raising – no report
F) Special Reports
· Mark spoke on the Men s breakfast with 8 or 9 attending. Meet again on May 10th at Chicken Corral.
Brian made a point of looking at sponsoring a Philopino Family. Suggest Eli family as he is a part
of our congregation. For discussion at Men s Breakfast.
· Mark reported on the Tuesday morning coffee group at – very informal.
G) New Business
· Susan suggests a Movie Night – wonder about using computer with projector and portable screen.
Brian Elgert said the Ag office has a 8 and half foot screen which could be borrowed. Susan
to check with Ag office. Brian to check with sound people to see if it could be put through the
sound system. Donation from movie night
to be used for
· Brian Bailey to check out cost of projection system for sanctuary and receive two quotes.
· Would require someone to operate computer system on Sundays.
10. Rev. Mark Satterly gave the closing prayer.
11. Brian adjourned the meeting at
1. That the Board honor the baptism of Malik Anthony Kimbeni, son of Madison Brooke Johnston on
2. That the Board accept the transfer of Frances Kulbacki membership from Neepawa United to
Knox United Church
4. That we accept Thomas Window and Glass estimate of $3247.02 for installation of wireless door opener for one door only.
we pay our caretakers $16.00 an hour as of
6. That we hire Trevor Smith to mow grass for the season at $15.00 per mow (under supervision of Terry).
7. That Chair Brian Bailey be authorized to sign the Grant of Easement with Manitoba Hydro and MTS
relative to the services of our Church.