Meeting of the Board
Neepawa United Church
Present: Brian Elgert, Bob Durston, Kristin Wood, Judy Elgert, Rita Friesen,
Ella Jarvis, Maurice Kaye, Eleanor Nicholson and Lyle Byram.
Regrets: Brian Bailey, Donna Newton, Ruth Hanke, Ann Nielsen, Susan Phillips,
Bev Finlayson and Margaret Kristjansson was not able to join via skype.
1. Brian Elgert called the meeting to order at
2. Kristin Wood did the opening Meditation with the group reading The New Creed
together followed by a discussion. Kristin then gave the opening Prayer.
3. Moved by Bob Durston and seconded by Eleanor Nicholson that the Agenda
be approved as circulated. Carried.
4. Moved by Bob Durston and seconded by Rita Friesen that the Minutes be
approved as circulated. Carried.
· Brian received a brochure for the “Welcome Christ Concert” in
· Received confirmation that the LicenSing has now be activated.
· Received the Prayer update Brochure.
6. Business arising from the Minutes:
a) Bob reported that the Projector/screen project is at $7500.00 to date.
Bob suggested that we need people in place to operate the screen/projector.
Judy Elgert volunteered to take this on but will require people to help her.
Will start working on this project when Brian Bailey return from holidays.
b) Name tags – no report.
c) Music Licensing – as reported this has been activated.
7. Committee Reports:
A) Larger Parish (Official Board) – no report
B) Pastoral Care – Eleanor reported for the month of January they sent out
7 Sympathy cards – 1 Get Well – 1 Thinking of You and 3 one year anniversary
of a loss. Eleanor suggested that Tuesday morning coffee time be postponed
until Spring as it is not well attended at this time.
D) Ministry and Personnel – Rita reported that we require someone to be a Rep
from Neepawa Congregation.
E) Treasurer - Bob presented his financial report to the end of January.
Income $ 9,739.13
Deficit - 7,790.92
Bob reported there is a decline in revenue and a discussion was held
on this situation and will look at major planning toward the Fall. We
will need to look at other methods of raising funds. Brian put out a
challenge for each Board member to come to next meeting with one idea.
Moved by Bob Durston and seconded by Judy Elgert that the Financial
Report be approved as presented. Carried.
· Maurice Kaye reported that the flood lights in front of Church
that had been vandalized will be replaced soon. Roof repairs have
not been completed due to cold weather.
· John’s Electric will apply the heat tape to the roof when weather
· No member for Finance and the Fall Letters will be prepared by
Chairman, Treasurer and Minister.
H) UCW :
· UCW served lunch at five funerals in January.
· The UCW under the guidance of Rita Friesen and Susan Phillips
will host the Neepawa World Day of Prayer on Friday, March 7th
at at the United Church. All are welcome.
· The UCW asks you to gather your spring “gently used” unwanted
item for the
Spring Gently Used sale on April 11th and 12th in the
· Kristin reported two funerals.
· Planning with folks for three weddings and a baptism.
· Bible study on Thursday a.m. and Sunday p.m.
· Attended Presbytery meeting in St. Claude on Feb. 4th & 5th.
Ministerial Meeting –
Service and would
like to have
· Music License – we need to have information of music and lyrics
added to the Bulletins – Kristin will look after.
· Require someone to keep track and report the songs used.
J) Trustees – no report
K) Worship: Rita reported there will be Lenten music and will have a Pancake
Supper on Ash Wednesday followed by a Service.
Motion #1: Moved by Rita Friesen and seconded by Judy Elgert that we
approve the wedding
Graham Stewart with Kristin Wood and Joe Ball officiating. Carried.
Motion #2: Moved by Rita Friesen and seconded by Judy Elgert that
we approve the
wedding request for
Steven Jury with Kristin Wood officiating. Carried.
L) Presbytery: Ella Jarvis reported on the Presbytery meeting held in
St. Claude on February 4th and 5th, 2014.
· She reported that the Conference Allocation for 2014 same as 2013.
· There was a video/slide presentation on Rendezvous Youth Conference to be
Require of Me” at a cost of $325.00 per person - includes meals and
accommodation. More information available from Kristin.
· There was a presentation from Kathryn Hofley on “Financial
Planning and Stewardship”.
Mean to be Affirming?
· Discussion on Comprehensive Review and a Task Group looking at
structures and policies and what do we need??
· Calling Lakes closing in August, 2014.
M) Special Reports:
· Men’ Breakfast – 5 attended.
· Nominating Committee – no report.
· Youth Group – going to Country Meadows on Friday, Feb. 14th
· and will have entertainment and cookies.
Pancake Supper on Ash Wednesday.
· Sunday School – Judy Elgert gave thanks to the UCW for
· Singles – Ella reported the luncheon is being held Wed. Feb. 12th
Moved by Maurice Kaye and seconded by Eleanor Nicholson that
all reports be accepted as presented. Carried.
8. New Business:
· Spring Supper – chaired by Brian Elgert – April date to be confirmed.
A) Brian Elgert read the Moment of Levity.
· Kristin gave the Closing Prayer.
Next meeting –
Brian adjourned the meeting at
1. Moved by Rita Friesen and seconded by Judy Elgert that we approve the
wedding request for
with Kristin Wood and Joe Ball officiating.
2. Moved by Rita Friesen and seconded by Judy Elgert that we approve the
wedding request for
Kristin Wood officiating.