Meeting of the Board
Neepawa United Church
Present: Brian Bailey, Donna Newton, Bob Durston, Susan Phillips, Eleanor Nicholson,
Rev. Peggy Reid, Rita Friesen, Ella Jarvis, Judy Elgert, Maurice Kaye,
Bev. Finlayson and Lyle Byram.
Regrets: Brian Elgert, Heather Cummings, Terry Smith and Ruth Hanke.
1. Brian called the meeting to order at
2. Rev. Peggy Reid gave the opening Meditation and Prayer.
3. The Agenda was approved as circulated. Moved by Judy Elgert and seconded
by Maurice Kaye. Carried.
4. The Minutes of the December Board meeting were approved. Moved by
Susan Phillips and seconded by Eleanor Nicholson. Carried.
· Brian read a thank you card from Amber Zalluski for Christmas gift.
· Brian read a thank you card from Joyce Kingdon for Christmas gift.
· Brian read a thank you note from Diane Martin on behalf of Child and
available for anyone that may qualify for any of the courses.
· Information received from World Leprosy Mission.
· Letter from Ryan Nelson applying to look after the video/camera project.
6. Business arising from the Minutes
a) Progress on funds raised for projector/screen project no report
b) Fall stewardship campaign report Bob reports that the weekly givings
are going up but the Fall canvas is down but the overall total is much
the same as previous years.
c) Transporting shut-ins to church. Eleanor to put notice in the bulletin and
if anyone knows of anyone needing a ride on Sunday morning to leave their
name at the office and someone will call and make arrangements for a ride.
Folk music Sunday is now set for
e) Church history update Donna spoke to Susan Drayson but she does not
feel she can do this but has much information with regard to the UCW.
It was suggested to speak to Allan Drysdale.
f) WiFi and every Sunday TV update. Brian reported that this should be
installed Thursday of this week. Every Sunday TV has been set up with Access.
MOTION: Moved by Susan Phillips and seconded by Rita Friesen that we purchase from
Access TV a. Tripod - $100 (new)
b. Monitor - $100 (new)
g) Sound policy for weddings no report to date.
h) Lay supervision of Intern Minister Neepawa appointees
Dora White and Nora Kaye will be on the committee.
- 2 -
g) Old Business
a. Search committee no report
h) Committee Reports:
A) Larger Parish Donna presented a report of the Larger Parish
meeting on January 14th and this was followed by a discussion.
MOTION: Moved by Donna Newton and seconded by Lyle Byram that we
and Area Pastoral Charge along with their Motion to forgive the
monthly allocation for February and March 2013. Carried.
B) Pastoral Care Eleanor reported in for the month of December
they sent out 5 sympathy 1 get well and 4 thinking of you.
They sent out a total of 142 cards in 2012.
the congregation was very generous with White Gifts and
the mitten tree. There was lots of food, hats, scarves and mitts were
brought in and taken to the Salvation Army. Also, over $400 in cash.
Susan reported the M & S met the goal for 2012 with a total of
$15,192.67 in givings. This includes $320 raised by the Youth Group
for their gifts vision project and $130.65 from loose coin collection
on December 30th. Susan says they are talking about having another
movie night but not sure when.
D) Ministry and Personnel no report.
E) Treasurers report Bob reported he ordered 130 envelopes at a
cost of $294.44. The funds donated to the United Church of Canada
Foundation by Kelly and Elsie Bell in the amount of $764.20 designated
his financial report to
Total Income $187,177.90
Total Expenses 175,142.00
Larger Parish $ -4605.37
Moved by Bob Durston and seconded by Susan Phillips that the Treasurers
report be approved as presented. Carried.
F) Property no report
G) Finance Discussion on possible fund raisers Susan Phillips has information
of a group that puts on plays in Churches as a fund raiser she will obtain
more information. There will be a Song Fest in May with donations made
in honour or someone or in memory of someone.
H) UCW Bev Finlayson reported that the year end report is being prepared.
There were 65 cookie trays delivered before Christmas to the shut ins and
- 3 -
I) Ministerial Peggy Reid reported that they have received some applications
for a new Minister and are being considered at this time.
J) Trustees Judy Elgert reported that the committee met and had
discussions on Insurance with Don Schmall.
K) Worship Brian Bailey gave Anns report in her absence
· Charlie Brown mitten/scarf/toque tree a success towards supplementary
Christmas hampers. Still looking for a slim tall 6 plus tree for
Narthex (to save our live ones) for next Advent.
· Carolling dates need to be changed so it will not conflict with
the HMK concert nights, so we have more youth.
· Lenten decor and banner to go up for Feb. 17th (1st Sunday in Lent)
· Ash Wednesday Feb. 13th pancake supper prior to Worship at
· Palm branches are ordered for Palm Sunday March 24th. Sunday School to
help with distribution prior to service.
· Lenten week hour music with reflection in progress March 25 28th.
· Maundy Thursday service being looked into.
· Thanks to Eileen Henton for nurturing the Sanctuary poinsettias during
L) Presbytery No report.
M) Special Reports Mens breakfast have more people attending and
report they have good discussions.
Singles group Ella Jarvis reported she has attended a couple and
reports there is a good response and enjoyable time.
Youth Group Judy reported youth group is doing the Pancake Supper
on Feb. 13th prior to the Service. Youth group is attending the Zeebu
youth group retreat in Selkirk in February at a cost of $70.00 each and
Brian Elgert has volunteered to transport the youth to Selkirk.
MOTION: Moved by Donna Newton and seconded by Rita Friesen that Neepawa
United Church pay mileage @ .41 cents/km to Brian Elgert to travel to the Zeebu
Youth group Retreat in Selkirk.
N) Bob Durston moved the acceptance of all reports. Donna seconded. Carried.
9. New Business
Donna reported there be a nominating Report.
b) Vision for our church and new thoughts. Peggy Reid suggested there
be a term set for the Board positions.
c) Do we need month or bi-monthly meetings? Brian brought this idea
forward and something for each one to think about.
d) Rita to have moment of levity for next meeting.
10. Next meeting February 19th at
11. Peggy gave the closing prayer.
12. Brian adjourned the meeting at
- 4 -
1. That we purchase from NACTV a) tripod - $100 (new)
b) monitor - $100 (new)
for a total of $350.
2. That we accept the November, 2012 Budget proposal from the Neepawa and
Area Pastoral Charge along with their motion to forgive the monthly allocation
for February and March, 2013.