Meeting of the Board
Neepawa United Church
Present: Brian Bailey, Bob Durston, Kristin Wood, Brian Elgert, Judy Elgert,
Rita Friesen, Ann Nielsen, Ella Jarvis, Susan Phillips, Maurice Kaye,
Ruth Hanke and Lyle Byram.
Regrets: Donna Newton, Eleanor Nicholson and Bev Finlayson.
1. Brian called the meeting to order at and welcomed via cell phone,
Margaret Kristjansson, our supervising Minister.
2. Kristin gave the opening Meditation and Prayer.
3. Moved by Susan Phillips and seconded by Brian Elgert that the Agenda be approved as
4. Moved by Judy Elgert and seconded by Ruth Hanke that the Minutes be approved as circulated. Carried.
· Brian read a Thank you from Wayne and Amber Zalluski for the
gift certificate at Christmas.
· The Mandate magazine has been received.
· Brian will be preparing a newsletter during Easter season and anyone
with information to go in the newsletter to contact him.
· Rita and Kristin thanked the Board for the gift card received at Christmas.
· Brian thanked everyone for their work over the last two years when he served as Chairman.
6. Business arising from the Minutes:
a) Progress on funds raised for Projector/screen raised $6775.00 to date.
b) Name Tags Susan presented the name tags and will have them ready for
the Annual meeting.
c) Financial viability review Bob reported on this report and it was suggested
that all three Larger Parish reports be consolidated and forwarded to JNAC.
Margaret suggested that nothing be done with JNAC until things are settled
with Kristin in May.
d) Music licensing Kristin looked into this matter and we will require 3 licences
particularly in Neepawa as we are now projecting lyrics on the screen.
We have CCLI and will require LicenSing at $169.00 US funds and
One License at $195.00. Discussed who is in charge of recording the
number of times used. Kristin will talk to Amber on this matter.
Motion #1 Moved by Kristin Wood and seconded by Judy Elgert that Neepawa United
Church purchase yearly licences from LicenSing and One Licence for
$169.00 US funds and $195.00 respectively per year. Carried.
7. Committee Reports:
A) Larger Parish (Official Board)
That the Board approved vacation time for Kristin
· Reported that Arden and Brookdale need to set their own fee
schedule with regard to Funerals.
· Pulpit Supply a recommendation came from Presbytery that the
rate be increased to $162.00 per event as minimum payment and
that if more than one service is covered then the additional service
would bring 1 ½ plus mileage.
B) Pastoral Care
· Ruth reported for the month of December they sent out
1 sympathy card; 4 get well cards and 5 one year anniversary of a loss.
· Tuesday morning coffee took a break from December 17/13 until
January 7/14. Have served coffee to approximately 8 people each time.
She would encourage others to help making coffee.
C) Mission and Service Susan reported there is a contest for naming the
Mens Choir. To give a donation with your suggestion and the Men will decide
from the suggested names.
D) Ministry and Personnel no report.
E) Treasurer Report
his Financial report to
Total Income $169,145.07
Total Expenses 156,642.17
Surplus acquired because did not pay Larger Parish second half levy of $64,744.26 as did not have expense of a minister and a half in place during the year as budgeted.
Margaret Kristjansson suggested that perhaps those people who do not use envelopes may
be interested to go on par.
F) Property Maurice Kaye reported.
· The lift was inspected by the Inspection and Technical Services Branch
of the Manitoba Government. Several conditions were identified that
require attention. Brandon Elevator will be contacted to complete the
· Maurice contacted Flynn Roofing about the status of the roof repairs.
These repairs will be initiated as soon as the weather permits.
· Johns Electric has indicated that one of the flood lights should arrive in
January and the second flood light is expected to arrive in February.
· Murrays Fire Extinguisher Service did an inspection of the churchs
fire extinguishers one unit was recharged and scheduling will be
arranged for future service.
G) Finance Brian has contact of a person that does a magic show as a suggestion
for a Fund Raiser.
H) UCW Ruth reported that the World Day of Prayer is March 7th and she
Requests the use of the Sanctuary.
A thank you note has been received from Red Sucker Lake thanking
us for the 8 boxes of clothing that was sent.
I) Ministerial Kristin Wood
· Kristin reported she has spent time in pastoral care.
· Spent time visiting at hospital during December.
Carolling, Blue Christmas and helping with hampers in December.
· No funerals in December and has had three in January.
She will have time off in February
· Kristin has set up a time for Bible Study will be Thursday morning
and Sunday evening. People will have some reading to do before
· Ministerial Meeting will be held in Neepawa United Church on
February 6th, at 11:30 a.m. Will be a discussion on Good Friday
Service as we will be hosting the Service.
J) Trustees No Report
K) Worship Ann Nielsen reports:
· Carolyn and Belinda will be directing choir and organ while Brian away.
· Bible study
· Board accept wedding request from Kristin Wood and Shane Burke for
Motion #2 Moved by Ann Nielsen and seconded by Susan Phillips that the Board
the wedding request of Kristin Wood and Shane Burke for
Clergy to be announced at a later date. Carried.
· Daniel Heschuk graduates this year and his sister Jenna is being approached
to fill in his place.
· Youth Group are having a pancake supper prior to Ash Wednesday service
on March 5th, 2014.
· Lenten Week April 14th 17th hour music and quiet time is being
organized. Kristin will do the introduction, prayer and reflection.
· Palm crosses are being researched instead of palm fronds for Palm Sunday.
· Rita Friesen and Ann Nielsen will co-chair the worship committee this year.
L) Presbytery no report.
M) Special Reports
· Mens breakfast 5 present at last breakfast
· Youth Group up and going with 11 members.
· Sunday School going well
· Singles 13 out
Moved by Ann Nielsen and seconded by Brian Elgert that all reports be accepted as presented.
8. New Business
A) Ella gave a moment of levity.
Agenda prepared for
has an item that needs to go on the Agenda to contact him.
Brian also reported that someone has suggested to him that lighting on the
stained glass windows would certainly enhance the windows.
Rita mentioned the communion table from East
View Lodge in the lower
and she would like have it. Discussion on this matter and it was decided to
donate the table to Rita.
Motion #3 Moved by Ann Nielsen and seconded by Ruth Hanke that the Board
donate the communion table returned from East View Lodge to Rita Friesen for
all the work and cherishing she has done for our Church community. Carried.
D) John Douglas indicated that there has been no feed back about the work
Kristin is doing. Search Committee needs to know if we will make the
Call for Kristin.
Following the closing prayer Kristin was excused and we discussed the matter
and Brian will prepare the Evaluation.
9. Next meeting February 18th, 2014 at 7:00 p.m.
10. Brian adjourned the meeting and 9:00 p.m.
1. Moved by Kristin Wood and seconded by Judy Elgert that Neepawa United Church
purchase yearly licenses from LicenSing and One License for $169.00 US funds and
$195.00 respectively. Carried.
2. Moved by Ann Nielsen and seconded by Susan Phillips that the Board accept the
Wedding request of
Kristin Wood and Shane Burke for
Clergy to be announced at a later date. Carried.
3. Moved by Ann Nielsen and seconded by Ruth Hanke that the Board donate the
Communion table returned from East View Lodge to Rita Friesen for all the
Work and cherishing she has done for our Church community. Carried.