Meeting of the Board
Neepawa United Church
Present: Brian Bailey, Bob Durston, Ann Nielsen, Donna Newton, Maurice Kaye,
Rev. Peggy Reid, Ella Jarvis, Susan Phillips, Heather Cummings, Ruth Hanke,
Brian Elgert and Lyle Byram.
Regrets: Rita Friesen, Judy Elgert and Eleanor Nicholson.
1. Brian called the Meeting to order at
2. Rev. Peggy Reid gave the opening Meditation and Prayer.
3. The Agenda was approved. Moved by Ann Nielsen and seconded by Heather
4. The Minutes of the May 21st meeting were approved. Moved by Heather Cummings
and seconded by Ruth Hanke. Carried.
5. Correspondence –
· Received letter from Ministerial Association advising of Concert
· Ministerial Association has been requested to provide Greeters on June 25th at
the Graduation to show people to their seats – anyone interested to contact Gladys Anderson.
· Gospel Service at the Lily Festival on July 21st – they are looking for
musical numbers – Brian will inquire to see if we could provide a number.
Ministerial Association is bringing in a Group called the Daae Family at
at cost of $1600. and looking for donations for this group.
· Received information on Leprosy Mission.
· Dariane Roe concert – to discuss the rental fee of $130.
· Report from Spring supper – 299 meals sold for profit of $4109.94
6. Business arising from the Minutes
a) Progress on funds raised for Projector/screen - $2385.00 to date.
b) Kathryn Hofley presentation – what specifics – discussion and suggestions were
bequests and creative ways of Fund Raising. Brian will talk to Kathryn Hofley
and set up a date in November.
c) Hosting of theatre group – Susan Phillips spoke to Tim Higgins and the group
of “Readers Theatre” would be available last week in September or first week in October. Susan to check a time available with Mrs. Young and Mr. Chapman of NACI to work together with them.
7. Old Business
a) Search Committee report – Congregation Meeting on Sunday, June 23rd following Church at – Everyone to bring a bag lunch.
c) Update “Church donation and guidelines for church facilities. Discussion on the
guidelines to be set.
MOTION: Moved by Donna Newton and seconded by Ann Nielsen that Neepawa United
Church fee guide line for the
or evening $130.00 or full day $185.00 effective
8. Committee Reports:
· Larger Parish (Official Board) – Donna Newton reported the Board
met and discussed the plans for congregational meeting on June 23rd.
· Pastoral Care – Ruth reported they sent out 3 sympathy cards, 4 Get Well
and 4 Thinking of You as well as visiting at Personal Care Home and Hosptial.
to 2012. No plans for summer months but suggestions for Fall were “Movie Night”,
money bags and games night.
· Ministry and Personnel – No report.
· Treasurer Report – Bob presented the Financial Report
May 31. 2013
Income $59,357.85 $66,607.06
Expenses 65,966.52 77,078.90
Surplus/Deficit - 6,608.67 - 10,471.96
Moved by Bob Durston and seconded by Brian Elgert that the Treasurer’s
Report be approved as presented. Carried.
· Property Report – Maurice Kaye reported on current projects that require
· Supplying and installing 40 gallon electric hot water take for the
MOTION: Moved by Donna Newton and seconded by Ruth Hanke that we purchase
from Tim’s Plumbing and Heating an additional 40 gallon electric hot
water tank installed in series with existing hot water tank at a price of
$1036.00 including taxes, as per attached quote. Carried.
· Repairs that are needed:
a) Roof repairs need to be done to fix leak in Minister’s office.
Roof between the
because of damage caused by ice jams.
Eavestrough on west side
· Repairs completed:
a) Merv’s Sheet Metal repaired the flashing around the main plumbing
stacks. (Bill for this project not received as yet)
· Miscellaneous – chairs between CC and church to be removed and
paving stone at entrance of church to be levelled.
· Discussion on a ``thank you`` gift to each of retiring caretakers.
MOTION: Moved by Ann Nielsen and seconded by Brian Elgert that the Board
present Wayne Zaluski and Joyce Kingdon with $100.00 gift certificate each
for Mr. Ribs in thanks for their caretaking services. Carried.
· Finance – Fund raising ideas for ongoing projects. Brian attended the
Carberry United Church Talent Auction which went very well. Ruth suggested
The Christmas ``Elvis`` impersonator and Ruth will follow up for more information.
· UCW – Heather reported the UCW has donated $7000 to Board in June.
Planning to have Fort Safety Course in Neepawa.
· Ministerial – Rev. Peggy Reid reported that Carberry had a special service
for people married 50 years or more. Have people bring wedding pictures and
see if people can guess who they are. Another suggestion from Peggy Reid was the first week of Advent ask for anyone with Nativity Scenes to bring and set them all
up and have a time of fellowship.
· Trustees – No report.
· Worship –
· Grad tribute has been set aside this year as no Church graduates this
year. Anyone who we may have missed are to be congratulated
and wished well on their new road in life.
· Peggy Galloway’s family donated a hymn book (Voices United) and a
Thank you has been sent out.
schedule complete until
(Rita’s grandson) has been filling in on occasion when the boys are
· Father’s Day Tim Bits and coffee went well.
· Sunday School done for year. Vicky Elgert to help Kim Smith teaching
next year starting in September.
· Youth are going camping at Sprucewoods June 25th and 26th. Their
· Youth Group Spaghetti supper was a success with $238.00 raised.
L) Presbytery – No report.
M) Special Reports
· Men’s Breakfast – no report
· Singles – Pot Luck lunch on June 19th
Moved by Maurice Kaye and seconded by Ella Jarvis that all reports
be accepted as presented. Carried.
9. New Business
MOTION: Moved by Ann Nielsen and seconded by Heather Cummings that the Board
forgive the concert fee of $100 but charge $30 for caretaker services. Carried.
b) Discussion was held regarding a request received for overnight camping in Church parking lot during Lily Festival.
MOTION: Moved by Ruth Hanke and seconded by Brian Elgert that those wishing
overnight camping during the Lily Festival in the Church parking lot be
required to pay $35.00 per night on the approval of the Church Board. Carried.
c) Brian asked for ideas and guidance on sharing the cost for
Clergy supervision. Donna to take this to the Larger Parish Board.
d) Brian asked for ideas for a “welcome” if we call a new Minister.
After some discussion it was decided to set up a “Welcome Committee”
of Brian Bailey, Susan Phillips, Donna Newton and Ann Nielsen and
Brian and Judy Elgert.
e) Discussion on how to express our thanks to Rita for the work she
does on our behalf.
MOTION: Moved by Susan Phillips and seconded by Ann Nielsen that we thank Rita Friesen
for all the work she does on our behalf by presenting her with gift certificates
of $100 each to Safeway, Co-Op and Shop Easy and $300 in cash. Carried.
f) Discussion on operation of the elevator during the Lily Festival weekend.
MOTION: Moved by Donna Newton and seconded by Ruth Hanke that in the event that
Doug Guy is unavailable that Janelle Nelson be asked to manage the elevator during
The Lily Festival Weekend for $150. Carried.
10. Next meeting
11. Rev. Peggy Reid gave the closing prayer.
12. Brian adjourned the meeting at
be updated as follows: Afternoon or Evening - $130. Full day $185. Effective July 1/13
2. That we purchase from Tim’s Plumbing and Heating an additional 40 gallon electric hot
water tank installed in series with existing hot water tank at a price of $1036. including
taxes, as per attached quote.
3. That the Board present Wayne Zalluski and Joyce Kingdon with $100 gift certificates
for Mr. Ribs in thanks for their care taking services.
4. That the Board forgive the Roe concert fee of $100 and charge $30 for care taker
5. That those wishing overnight camping during the Lily Festival in the Church parking lot
be required to pay $35.00 per night on the approval of the Church Board.
6. That we thank Rita Friesen for all the work she does on our behalf by presenting her
with gift certificates of $100 each to Safeway, Co-op and Shop Easy and $300 in cash.
7. That in the Event that Doug Guy is unavailable that Janelle Nelson be asked to manage
the elevator during the Lily Festival Weekend for $150.