Meeting of the Board
Neepawa United Church
Present: Brian Elgert, Bob Durston, Donna Newton, Judy Elgert, Ruth Hanke,
Brian Bailey, Ann Nielsen, Susan Phillips, Kristin Wood, Ella Jarvis,
Margret Kristjansson and Lyle Byram.
Regrets: Eleanor Nicholson, Bev Finlayson and Rita Friesen and Maurice Kaye.
1. Brian called the meeting to order at
2. Kristin gave the opening Meditation and Prayer.
3. Moved by Donna and seconded by Bob Durston that the Agenda be approved
as circulated. Carried.
4. Moved by Bob Durston and seconded by Ruth Hanke that the Minutes be
approved as circulated. Carried.
Amber advised the
Supper is April 27th.
· Received a letter from Tim Baker on behalf of the 4H club requesting that we
waive the normal fee for their Communication Night.
Moved by Ruth Hanke and seconded by Susan Phillips that we
waive the normal fee charged but charge the caretaker fee. Carried.
· Daniel Heschuk has piano concert on March 16th at We will
waive the fee but will charge the caretaker fee.
Moved by Donna Newton and seconded by Ruth Hanke
that we waive the fee charged but charge for caretaker fee. Carried.
· It was suggested that correspondence information be forwarded to Board members prior to the meeting.
Information received from
Vision Conference on
· Information from Dauphin Bible Camp
· Letter from United Church of Canada thanking for financial help with Typhoon Haiyan.
· Letter from
Neepawa Lily Festival requesting use of
the Lily Festival.
Motion #1 Moved by Brian Bailey and seconded by Susan Phillips that the Lily
Lyle will send letter to the Lily Festival replying to this request.
· Discussion on rental fees and need to set fees accordingly. To put on
Agenda for discussion at future meeting.
6. Business arising from the Minutes:
a) Spring Supper Discussion on date of supper.
Motion #2 - Moved by Brian Bailey and seconded by Donna Newton that the
Spring Supper be May 4th. Carried.
7. Committee Reports:
· Larger Parish (Official Board) Discussion at end of Meeting.
· Pastoral Care Ruth reported for the month of February they sent out
2 Sympathy cards; 3 Get Well; 1 Thinking of You and 1 One Year Anniversary
of a loss.
Coins will be collected on Easter Sunday.
She has printed 250 name tags and needs to buy more.
Moved by Donna and seconded by Ruth that Susan be able to buy more name tags.
· Ministry and Personnel No one has accepted this position and Neepawa
Congregation requires a Rep on this Committee. Board needs to announce this
from the Pulpit and perhaps someone will come forward. Rita has done this
in the past and has a brief job description of the job.
Treasurer Bob presented the Financial Report
Deficit - 14,379.21
Moved by Bob Durston and seconded by Judy Elgert that the Financial
Report be approved as presented. Carried.
· Property No Report Maurice is away.
· Finance Discussion on Fund Raising ideas.
· Judy mentioned that Vicky made a suggestion of an afternoon of
tea and coffee with the choir and youth group providing entertainment.
A suggested date of September as a welcome back after summer.
suggests using the
· Brian Bailey asked about the screen/projector funds and should he
obtain a new quote.
MOTION: moved by Ann Nielsen and seconded by Susan Phillips that
Brian get a new Quote for the screen/projector project. Carried.
· UCW Ruth Hanke reported on the UCW.
· World Day of Prayer last Friday was hosted by the UCW with
Rita Friesen and Susan Phillips doing the planning. We were pleased
to welcome members from other churches in Neepawa. The service,
written by the women
enjoyed their Egyptian afternoon with lunch following the service.
Collection was approximately $534.
· Throughout the year the UCW makes a yearly donation to several
United Church sponsored Charities. This month a Certificate of
was received from
· There were no funerals or lunches in February.
· The 50th Anniversary picture of the UCW will be framed and hung in
the Meeting Room.
· For our General UCW meeting on May7th at Kristin Wood
will make a
presentation about her
· Please start gathering your rummage for the UCW rummage sale or
· Ministerial Kristin Wood reported
· Bible Study a small but a devoted group
· No funerals but has done some pastoral care
· There are 4 weddings booked for the summer
· Ministerial meeting
· She will be away for final study leave March 17th to March 30th.
· Trustees no report
· Worship Ann Nielsen reported
a) Acknowledged $220. for projector fund for naming the Mens Chorus Group
b) The Hims participated in NACTV Talent night in lieu of the usual Choir contribution.
c) No Sunday School on March 16th.
d) Choir has not had much extra music practice as spending a lot of time on More Voices.
e) Good Friday Service with United Church Choir and an organist will be requested.
Ann asked that Kristins Clergy parking spot be
cleared of snow so she can access the plug easily. Request that church entrance
and approach and
kept clear for handivan and drop off.
Motion #3 Moved by Ann Nielsen and seconded by Judy Elgert that
The Board accept the request of Jacqueline Willerton and Christopher Bellisle for
Motion #4 Moved by Ann Nielsen and seconded by Donna Newton the Board
accept the request for Baptism of Avery Grace Evans, daughter of Kelly and Joanne
Motion #5 Moved by Ann Nielsen and seconded by Donna Newton that the Board
accept the request for Baptism of Lachlan Francis Cook, son of Jeffrey and
Sheila Cook on
Motion #6 - Moved by Ann Nielsen and seconded by Donna Newton that the Board
accept the request for Confirmation of Brian Elgert, Vicky Elgert and David Elgert
Motion #7 Moved by Ann Nielsen and seconded by Donna Newton that the Board
accept transfer of membership in good faith of Allan Drysdale from Inkerman United
Church and Velma
Clayton originally from
g) Presbytery Ella Jarvis reported Meeting in Manitou on April 4th and 5th.
a) Nominating Committee No report
b) Mens Breakfast Thursday, March 13th.
c) Youth Group Youth Group held a Pancake supper and there was a snowstorm
that evening and attendance was 14 people with a profit of $50.
d) Sunday Schoool No Sunday School on March 16th.
e) Singles Ella Jarvis reported good attendance last month with 18 attending. Next
meeting is Wednesday, March 19th.
Moved by Bob Durston and seconded by Brian Bailey that all reports be accepted
as presented. Carried.
8. New Business:
A) Larger Parish Report -
discussion was held recently at the Larger Parish meeting on the financial
situation in the Larger Parish.
meeting on this situation and it was suggested that we will require more information before we can address the issue or make any decisions. This information will be prepared and there will be a special Board meeting on Thursday, March 20th at
B) Brian Elgert outlined some of his goals for the next 2 years.
h) More young people in Church
i) Discuss what do people like
j) Is Website used provide information. Should we utilize text and facebook.
k) He felt we should meet every month but defer reports to 2nd month meeting
l) Talk about how we get young people involved.
m) Communicate with people those that attend and those that do not attend.
n) Reports that inform what`s happening.
9. Kristin provided a Moment of Levity.
10. Next General Meeting is Tuesday, April 15th at
11. Kristin gave the Closing the Prayer.
12. Brian Elgert adjourned the Meeting at
Motion 1 - Moved by Brian Bailey and seconded by Susan Phillips that the Lily Festival
Motion 2 Moved by Brian Bailey and seconded by Donna Newton that the Spring
Motion 3 - Moved by Ann Nielsen and seconded by Judy Elgert that the Board accept the request of
and Christopher Bellisle for marriage on
Motion 4 Moved by Ann Nielsen and seconded by Donna Newton that the Board accept the request for
Baptism of Avery Grace Evans, daughter of
Kelly and Joanne Evans
Motion 5 Moved by Ann Nielsen and seconded by Donna Newton that the Board accept the request for
for Baptism of
Lachlan Francis Cook, son of Jeffrey and Sheila Cook on
Motion 6 Moved by Ann Nielsen and seconded by Donna Newton that the Board accept the request
for Confirmation of Brian Elgert,
Vicky Elgert and David Elgert
Motion 7 Moved by Ann Nielsen and seconded by Donna Newton that the Board accept transfer of
in good faith of Allan Drysdale from
Originally from Foxwarren United Church. Carried.