MEETING OF THE BOARD

Neepawa United Church

March 20, 2018

 

Present: Bert Lowry(by Skype), Kristin Woodburke, Linda Hart, Bob Durston, Brian Bailey, Ella Jarvis, Pat Fedoruk, Brian Elgert, Susan Phillips, Jane Goudie

 

1. Call to order – Bert called the meeting to order at 7:00pm

2. Opening Meditation: The Board read the handout called “Holy Manners” together, focusing on “speaking for ourselves in the spirit of truth and gentleness”. Kristin then gave an opening prayer.

3. Adoption of the Agenda – Brian Bailey moved adoption of the agenda as amended, 2nd by Brian Elgert.

Carried

Amendments were to add Spring Supper and Rotary Club rental under 7, Old Business.

4. Adoption of the Minutes – Ella moved adoption of the Feb. 20, 2018 minutes, 2nd by Pat.

Carried

5. Correspondence

- A thank you from the Pastoral Oversight Committee for completion of our Annual Report that was sent to Presbytery.

6. A) Pastoral Care – no report

B) Mission & Service – Susan reported that the Committee had not had a recent meeting. They are planning a movie night in the sanctuary.

C) Ministry & Personnel – Brian Bailey indicated that there will be a special meeting of the Committee on March 23. Brian found the Sexual Harassment Policy in the United Church of Canada Manual. The M&P Committee will discuss adoption of this policy.

D) Treasurer – Bob distributed the Income/Expense Statement to the end of Feb. 2018.

Income $21,053.26

Expenses $26,469.44

Deficit $ 5,416.18

 

Moved by Bob, 2nd by Jane. That the Treasurer’s Report be adopted. Carried

E) Property- Doug Guy sent word that the blower and motor have been replaced in the east furnace for

the CEC. Four Seasons will be sending a quote for an air conditioning unit for the small meeting and choir

rooms.

F) UCW – Ella reported that there was good attendance at the March 2nd World Day of Prayer Service at our Church. There was a brunch on March 4.The UCW Rummage Sale is April 6 and 7 and the Spring Supper is April 15.

G) Ministerial

- Kristin reported that she has been busy with Confirmation classes and Book Study discussions.

- She gave Communion at one home and will touch base with a few others that might want it. Susan will look into a travelling Communion Kit.

- The Ministerial Association is planning a joint worship service on Sunday July 1, Canada Day.

- Kristin reported a good response when she stays at Brookdale after the church service. She stays there three times a year.

- The Worship Committee will be discussing sharing July and August services with the Anglican Church, similar to last year. Suggestion to have the service at 10 am in the summer if possible.

- Kristin is working on the purchase of computer accessories that was approved at the Feb. Board Meeting.

H) Trustees – nil

I) Worship Committee –Pat reported that the Committee had met on March 13.

-The next communion is March 25.

-There will be music in the sanctuary at noon for Holy Week March 26-29. Sharon Rogers will be the organist for the April 1 Easter service since our regular organists are not available that day.

-The Committee is currently trying to expand the list of back up pianists/organists for services, weddings and funerals. Suggestions from the board are welcome.

- The Committee continues to review the “Wedding Policy & Information for Couples” handout.

- Confirmation Sunday will be May 6. A motion was made and passed to accept the 2 confirmation class members for membership into the Neepawa United Church.

- The Committee reviewed the Feb 2018 draft of the Policies and Procedures Manual and sent their recommendations for change to Bob Durston.

- The next Worship Committee meeting is on April 24.

J) Stewardship - nil

K) Presbytery

Susan had nothing to report. The next meeting is in April.

L) Special Reports – Brian reported that the Hims sang at the Victoria’s Quilts Irish Stew Luncheon.

M) Acceptance of all reports was moved by Susan, 2nd by Ella. Carried

 

7. Old Business:

A) Possibility of having an intern

Reference to this in the Jan 2018 minutes. The Neepawa United Church feels that having an intern should not be pursued at this time. Any further discussion at the Pastoral Charge meetings will be brought to our attention.

B) Discussion of the Manual of Policies and Procedures

- Bob reported that he has received a few suggestions for changes to the draft of the Manual. He will accept suggestions for changes in the next few weeks and will have a tentative Manual ready for the April Board Meeting.

- The Board had a discussion on changes needed to the draft.

C) Spring Supper

- The Spring Supper is on April 15

- The menu is roast beef & horseradish, jellied salads, Caesar salad, baked potatoes, peas and carrots, and dessert.

- The beef has been ordered and Brian Elgert is ordering the other groceries.

- Brian Elgert is putting up posters around town.

- Murray Newton is helping with the BBQ.

D) Rotary Club Rental of the CEC

The Rotary Club has rented the CEC for a Book Sale on April 13 and 14. Murray Newton asked if they would be allowed to get into the CEC prior to the sale in order to set up. A motion was made and passed to allow the Rotary Club to set up for the Book Sale at no additional charge.

 

8. New Business

A) Discussion of Rita Friesen’s request

- Rita sent a letter requesting that she be allowed to preside at funerals by herself at our Church. Discussion was tabled to the next Board Meeting since most Board Members did not have a copy of the letter.

9. Brian Bailey shared a moment of levity.

10. Next meeting is Wed. April 25th at 5 pm.

11. Kristin gave a closing blessing

12. Bert adjourned the meeting at 9:00 pm

 

 

Motions:

 

#1 Motion made by Pat Fedoruk for the Worship Committee, seconded by Brian Bailey. That the Board accept Dale Elgert and Declan Smith for Confirmation on May 6, 2018.

Carried.

 

#2 Motion made by Brian Bailey and seconded by Brian Elgert. That we allow the Rotary Club “set up” time for the Rotary Book Sale at no additional charge. Carried.