Neepawa United Church
Meeting of the Board
Present: Brian Bailey, Mark Satterly, Rita Friesen, Susan Phillips, Judy Elgert, Terry Smith
Eleanor Nicholson, Ruth Hanke, Brian Elgert, Maurice Kaye, Ann Nielsen, Ella Jarvis,
Bob Durston and Lyle Byram.
Regrets: Donna Newton and Heather Cummings.
1. Brian opened the meeting at
2. Mark gave the opening meditation and prayer.
3. The agenda was approved as circulated. Motion moved by Terry Smith and seconded
by Ann Nielsen. Carried.
The Minutes of
Eleanor Nicholson and seconded by Susan Phillips. Carried.
· E-mail from Steve Palmer regarding a fundraising concert – rejected.
· Affidavit of Execution from Hydro regarding easement on Church
property with a cheque for $250.00
6. Business arising from previous meeting
a) Terry Smith reported that he would like to rescind the Motion of April 19th
from Thomas Windows.
MOTION: Moved by Terry Smith and seconded by Ann Nielsen that we rescind the automatic
door opener motion of April 19th, in the amount of $3247.02 from Thomas Windows.
7. Old Business
(a) JNAC – Susan reported this is in process and Larger Parish meeting on
Sunday following Church. The report has a job description for a full time and a half
time Minister. Members to vote on the report.
(b) Brian reported on the video projector – he will obtain a quote from
Ben Marks of
a wireless unit. Brian asked if this is a want or need and that we would require
someone to manage the system. Brian will have more information on the
system for the next meeting. Mark suggested the congregation be made aware
of the Board talking about this. Bob suggests that we would need adults to
operate the system.
8. Committee Reports.
A. Worship Committee
· Ann reported that June 10th is designated for acknowledging membership transfer and
Profession of faith.
MOTION: Moved by Ann Nielsen and seconded by Ella Jarvis that the Board accept
the transfer of Eileen Henton`s membership from Birnie United to Neepawa
United after closure of
MOTION: Moved by Ann Nielsen and seconded by Ella Jarvis that the Board accept
the baptism of Gavin Samuel John Coppinger, son of Kendra and Christopher
Ford has agreed to arrange ushering for the year starting
Giannotti will do the address to the Grads
· Tyler Stillwell would like to carry on with the sound system on Sundays he is available
· Mark has arranged weddings on August 11th and August 18th and he is willing to officiate
after speaking with Peggy Reid.
MOTION: Moved by Ann Nielsen and seconded by Ella Jarvis that the Board approve
Mark return to Neepawa to officiate at weddings on August 11th
absence of an official clergy. Carried.
· Father`s Day June 17th, 2012 – we will serve ``the dads`` Timbits and beverages.
· Trail Mix would like to participate in a Sunday worship. It was decided to leave this until
Fall after summer break.
B. Pastoral Care – Ruth Hanke
· Ruth Hanke reported they have sent out 6 Get well cards and 3 sympathy
Cards, 5 Thinking of you cards for the month of April.
· Susan reported that they have two new members of Rose Switzer and
Lila Hildebrand on the M & S committee.
· Planning a ``Tuesday Night at the Movies``. The first Tuesday will be
May 29th. Show time at . Brian Elgert and Susan met to check
the equipment and see if the movie can be shown in the sanctuary while
it is still light outside and worked fine. The movie will be The Jazz Singer
starring Al Jolson. Mark will introduce the movie and there will be time
for discussion after the movie. Will serve popcorn and drinks. There
will be a donation tin and proceeds will go to M & S fund. Announcement
in the bulletin and will
announce before reading Minute for
Will see how this goes and then start planning the next Tuesday Night at
D. Ministry and Personnel – no report
E. Treasurer`s Report – Bob Durston
· Discussion was held on holding a Fall Visitation – generally opposed to the idea.
· Bob presented his financial report to date
2012 Total Income $52,686.97
2012 Total Expense 61,995.85
Deficit - 9308.88
MOTION: Moved by Bob Durston and seconded by Susan Phillips that the
Treasurer`s Report be approved as presented. Carried.
F. Property – Terry Smith
· Terry Smith reported that the Wheat City Roofing will be fixing the
leak on the tin roof.
is requesting to re-open the previous motion from
which was passed to accept Thomas Windows quote for one door opener
at front entrance of church for the sum of $3247.02. Thomas Windows
had originally quoted installing two door openers and Terry divided their
quote in half and proposed this to the board. When contacting Thomas Window
they advised that they could not install one door opener for half the original
quote. Their new price was $4309.21 including taxes. Yellowhead Windows
said his quote was originally for a an individual opener of $3537.87 including
MOTION: Moved by Terry Smith and seconded by Ann Nielsen that Yellowhead
Windows quote of $3537.87 be accepted to install one outside entrance
door opener into the sanctuary with handi cap door opener system. Carried.
· Terry reported the caretakers have informed Terry that during their
July absence which was approved by the Board, Wayne will open Thursday
evenings for AA group at and Cancer Group on Wednesday at
Joyce will be available for August except for Sunday mornings...
We will require someone to open the Church at and lock up at
on Sundays for July and August. Terry will set up a schedule.
Festival use of Church
at Church during those hours to operate life and be around if needed for assistance. This is a paid position. Terry to put this in the Church bulletin.
· It was suggested that the Board requires liability insurance and Trustees to
check this out. Brian indicated that he was involved with Westman Youth
Choir and they had a policy in this regard for the Board members and
perhaps could obtain the same type of policy.
G. UCW- Ruth Hanke
· Ruth Hanke reported in Heather`s absence that the UCW had a successful
· Will be celebrating the 50th Anniversary of United Church Women sometime
in the Fall.
· Will be discussing Funeral lunches at the General UCW meeting in June.
H. Ministerial – Mark Satterly
· Mark reported that he held a pastoral care workshop
· Bible Study group will finish next week.
I. Trustee Report – Judy Elgert
· No report
J. Larger Parish – Donna Newton
· Mark reported in Donna`s absence that the Remit was accepted.
· Oversight report for Carberry has been completed.
K. Presbytery – Rita Friesen
reported on the Agassiz Presbytery Meeting
· South Presbyterial regretfully announced the disbandment of the
Organization. They gave $500 to M & S and $500 to
United Church Camp and after expenses are clear the remainder will
be given to a women`s mission outreach in Tanzania.
· Reported on Rock Lake United Church Camp that the summer staff are in
Place. The camp is an excellent resource for youth activities. Over 30
applications are confirmed with the target number is 300.
(Rita`s full report is filed in the Minute book).
L. Fund Raising –
· The hymn dedication service is May 27th.
M. Special Reports –
· Mark reported on the Men`s Breakfast with 8 men attending. Next breakfast
meeting set for second Thursday in June.
· Tuesday ``coffee time`` - no one attended the last one.
· Youth group Spaghetti Dinner made $100.
9. New Business –
· Brian reported still looking for new Board members.
· Brian to contact Ivan Traill about video taping service every Sunday.
Brian Elgert suggested he could bring in a video camera and set it up
and see if this would work.
· It was suggested that if possible we have some members from Country Meadows
attend the Music hymn dedication service on May 27th. Terry Smith no longer drives
the handi-van and Rita will contact Phil and see if there would be a driver available
for that morning.
at setting up a
a sub committee to take this task on. Donna was to check with Banner and
James Underwood. Will require someone to set site up and keep updated.
Donna will have more information on this at next meeting.
Brian to check with someone in Neepawa regarding continuity in program.
Brian Elgert said once this is set up it is rather easy to continue.
was suggested that we could look at the sponsor of a child for camp at
Rita will obtain brochures on
the sponsorship from congregation to send a child to camp at
· Discussed the use of In Memoriam envelopes being placed out at Funerals.
10. Rev Mark Satterly gave the closing prayer.
11. Brian adjourned the meeting at
12. Next regular Meeting is scheduled for Thursday, June 21st at
Ann Nielsen to provide Moment of Levity at next meeting.
1) That the Board rescind the automatic door opener motion of April 19th in the amount of
$3247.02 from Thomas Windows.
2) That the Board accept the transfer of Eileen Henton`s membership from Birnie United
to Neepawa United
after closure of
3) That the Board accept the baptism of Gavin Samuel John Coppinger, son of Kendra and
4) That the Board approve the return to Neepawa to officiate at weddings on August 11th and
5) That the Yellowhead Windows quote of $3537.87 be accepted to install one outside entrance
door opener into the sanctuary with handi cap door opener system.