Meeting of the Board
Neepawa United Church
Present: Brian Bailey, Bob Durston, Ann Nielsen, Maurice Kaye, Rev. Peggy Reid, Rita Friesen, Ella Jarvis, Judy Elgert,
Susan Phillips, Eleanor Nicholson, Heather Cummings
and Lyle Byram.
Regrets: Brian Elgert and Ruth Hanke.
1. Brian Bailey called the Meeting to order at
2. Rev. Peggy Reid gave the opening Meditation and Prayer.
3. The Agenda was approved. Moved by Bob Durston and
seconded by Heather Cummings. Carried.
4. The Minutes of April 16th meeting were approved. Moved
by Rev. Peggy Reid and seconded by Ella Jarvis. Carried.
· Brian had information from Bardal Funeral Home with
regard to the funeral of Raymond Pelletier (former
Church caretaker). Brian will look after sending a
card of Condolence from the Church to the Pelletier Family.
· Brian received two letters of resignation from our
caretakers Joyce Kingdon effective
Wayne Zalluski effective June 15th.,
a job description for the caretaker.
Brian will look after sending a ‘Thank you’ to Joyce and Wayne.
MOTION: Moved by Bob Durston and seconded by Eleanor Nicholson
that we accept these resignations with regret. Carried.
Brian received a letter from Bill Peacock of
TV and was impressed with the service.
· Brian has received information on summer and fall programs
6. Business arising from the Minutes
a) Progress on funds raised for Projector and screen project.
Bob reported the amount raised to date is $1820.00.
b) Kathryn Hofley presentation – Brian will follow this up and
and confirm a date with Kathryn Hofley for sometime in November.
c) Wifi and every Sunday TV update – Brian reported there
was no one present on Sunday to video the service. There
was further discussion in this regard.
d) Spring supper – Bob reported the spring supper profit was
e) Music Dedication Sunday is in progress for June 2nd.
7. Old Business
a) Search committee report – meeting to be held May 22nd.
8. Committee Reports:
· Larger Parish (Official Board) – Larger Parish Committee and
Search Committee – a meeting has been set.
· Pastoral Care – Eleanor Nicholson reported for month
of April they have sent 3 sympathy cards – 1 Get Well card
and 3 Thinking of You.
· Ministry and Personnel – no report
· Treasurer`s Report – Bob presented the Financial Report
Income $50,471.81 $52,686.97
Expenses 50,357.00 61,995.85
Surplus Def. 114.81 - 9,308.88
Moved by Bob Durston and seconded by Maurice Kaye that the
Treasurer`s Report be approved as presented. Carried.
· Maurice Kaye reported that MTS has secured the
junction box on the south wall.
air conditioning in the meeting room. Boiler has three leaks which
Four Seasons is attending to.
· Maurice asked about maintenance of the Church yard. It was
suggested we could
inquire at the
Brian suggested that possibly there are volunteers within the
Congregation would be willing to look after the yard.
· Discussion on caretaking position and it was decided to set
up a committee to look after this.
MOTION: Moved by Susan Phillips and seconded by Heather Cummings
that a committee be set to look at and discuss the caretaker
Committee will consist of Brian Bailey, Bob Durston, Maurice Kaye,
Rita Friesen and Heather Cummings.
Finance – Susan reported on the Reader`s Theatre for the fall perform
at the Church as a Fund Raiser. Group to meet with Mrs. Young of
NACI and discuss presenting this in the Fall together with students.
UCW – Heather Cummings reported the unofficial amount
for the Soup
Peggy Reid reported that
is having a Talent Auction and a Silent Auction on
· May 27th at 6:30and all are invited to attend. Peggy reported that Rita Friesen has been approved as a Sacrament Elder.
Peggy reported that the
discontinuing the Faculty of Theology.
· Bob reported that it has been suggested to him that we collect
the e-mail addresses of church members. It was suggested that we include a space to include this in the Fall canvass newsletter. Susan will place a folder at the back of the Church now for people to write their e-mail addresses in.
Trustees – no report.
Worship – Anne Nielsen
· There was no quorum for May meeting – decisions made
arbitrarily by Susan and Ann.
· Kathy Ford will do ushers list for next year.
Linda Giannotti will
do Grad Service on
· There were no left over carnations from the 100 for Mother’s
Day as extras were taken for shut ins.
· Will do coffee and Tim Bits for Father’s Day, Sunday, June 16/13.
· Search Committee still searching for the right triangular fit
and some progress made.
· Our new tree was blessed May 12th in honor of Donalda Ferguson.
Pot Luck meeting at Susan’s for
Ella Jarvis gave the Presbytery Report of the
meeting at Morden on
· Diane Haglund presented a Archives Presentation and there are records back to 1864. Diane works with churches to help get their history recorded.
· Pastoral supervision – Rev. Peggy Reid with Neepawa should
charge pay for this and not the charge where the supervisor works.
Discussed and bring back to September meeting.
· Theology Centre at U of W moved to smaller area with name change. The Budget was cut by 13% for 2013.
· Cost when a charge uses another minister for baptism or weddings –
should they pay when they have their own Minister. Suggested
charge was $100.
· MacGregor’s 100th on June 8th and 9th.
· Grant money cut this year by 25%.
· Men’s Breakfast – 5 present and good discussion.
· Tuesday Morning Coffee – decided to stop for summer on May 28th.
· Youth Group – Spaghetti Brunch on Sunday, May 26th.
going to pool at
Camping at Sprucewoods the end of June.
· Singles Group – last Wednesday there were 12 present plus
Wayne and Amber. Group will continue to meet through the summer. Brian reported he forwarded a “thank you” note to Eileen Henton for her work with the singles group.
MOTION: Moved by Bob Durston and seconded by Susan Phillips that all
reports be accepted as reported. Carried.
New Business – no new Business
9. Next Meeting –
10. Rev. Peggy Reid gave the closing prayer.
11. Ann Nielsen adjourned the meeting at