Meeting of the Board
Neepawa United Church
Present: Brian Bailey, Donna Newton, Bob Durston, Eleanor Nicholson, Heather Cummings,
Kristin Wood, Brian Elgert, Judy Elgert and Lyle Byram.
Regrets: Rita Friesen, Ann Nielsen, Ruth Hanke, Ella Jarvis, Maurice Kaye, Susan Phillips
and Peggy Reid.
1. Brian called the meeting to order at
2. Kristin gave the Opening Meditation “What each of us are Thankful for in our Church”
followed by a Prayer.
3. Moved by Bob Durston and seconded by Donna Newton that the Agenda be
approved as circulated. Carried.
4. Adoption of the Minutes required corrections – page 3 Youth group is looking for
someone to help with music and not the Sunday School.
Page 4 – the choir welcomes their new tenor – Ken Rogers.
Page 3 – the air conditioner breaker was replaced by John’s Electric at no cost.
Moved by Bob Durston and seconded by Eleanor Nicholson that the Minutes be
Approved as corrected. Carried.
· Information received from the Observer with a special 50/50 discount offer.
Letter from Town of
· Letter from CCIL – going to monitor Church from October 15th to March 15th
to see how much music we copy.
6. Business arising from the Minutes.
a) Progress on funds raised to date for projector/screen project.
Bob reported the funds to date are $2862.50. The funds raised from
“Nice Women Do” was $355.00 with half being $177.50 going to HMK for
School supplies. The other half of $177.50 was added to projector fund.
A big “thank you” to Susan Phillips for her work in organizing this Event.
b) Covenanting Service – November 17th at
Peggy will be presiding as well as Representatives from Presbytery.
The message will be by Ken DeLisle. Musical presentations and
Kristin will have a presentation of Symbols.
c) Fall Stewardship Campaign – work party to stuff envelopes will be
Tuesday, October 22nd at
d) Hearing assists for congregation – Brian reported there is a need for the
hearing equipment but it is not working. Brian is searching to find proper
ear buds that will work properly.
e) Report on Readers Theatre presentation – Susan absent from meeting.
7. Old Business: No old business to report.
8. Committee Reports:
A) Larger Parish (Official Board)
· November 10th is Brookdale Supper
· October 27th is Neepawa Fall Supper
· Rev. Peggy Reid is resigning as Pastoral Charge Supervisor as
of November Presbytery Meeting. Margret Kristjansson (Glenboro)
will be new Supervising Minister.
· Will continue with Joint Search Committee for a .5 position.
B) Pastoral Care – Eleanor Nicholson
September - 5 sympathy cards, 2 Thinking of You, 1 Get Well,
5 One year Anniversary of a death in family.
C) Mission and Service – no report
D) Ministry and Personnel – no report
E) Treasurer – Discussion on Treasurer’s Report to give more detailed information
on the financial statement going out in newsletter. Bob will prepare this information.
Income to date $105,154.20
Expenses to date 92,726.92
Moved by Bob Durston and seconded by Brian Elgert that the Treasurer’s Report
be approved as presented. Carried.
Discussion on preparing Budget for 1.5 Ministers.
Kathryn Hofley here November 23rd and speaking on Legacy Giving on Sunday, November 24th followed by Brunch.
F) Property – No Report
G) Finance – No Report
H) UCW – Heather Cummings reported that the UCW held a Food Safety Day
and reported on the Rummage Sale on October 18th and 19th. Fall Supper
on October 27th. Six UCW members attended the Rally in Gladstone on
I) Ministerial – Kristin Wood
· Held a Celebration of Life at Country Meadows for four members
that recently passed away.
· Discussion with regard to letter of request for marriage received
From Erin Davie and Paul Strueby.
Motion #1 –Moved by Bob Durston and seconded by Donna Newton that Erin Davie and Paul
Strueby’s request for marriage on
Neepawa United Church be approved. Carried.
· Kristin has had one funeral, several meetings and a hospital visit in
· Attended Youth Group
· Attended the Baptist Church Celebration and brought Greetings
on behalf of Pastoral Charge.
· There is a Youth Gathering in Winnipeg next year for youth
of United Church and Kristin has volunteered through Manitoba
· Kristin leaving Friday October 18th – November 6th for trip to Guatamala.
To follow Kristin’s Journey The Website is Breaking the Silence
J) Trustees – No Report
· Carolling will be December 18th so as not to interfere with
School programs December 16th and 17th.
· Blue Christmas on December 19th. Music will be organized later.
· First Sunday of Advent is December 1st, 2013. Our tree will go up
about November 28th, 2013.
· One Christmas Eve service in Neepawa. Discussion held regarding
time of Christmas Eve service.
Motion #2 – Moved by Donna Newton and seconded by Heather Cummings That the Neepawa
Neepawa United Church will request our Christmas Eve Service on
December 24th, 2013 to begin between 8:00 and 8:30 p.m. with preference
for 8:00 p.m. Carried.
Kristin away for
· Youth group commenced October 4h after school.
L) Presbytery – No report
M) Special reports
· Men’s Breakfast – 2 people present
· Youth Group – planning to take group swimming
Discussion on sleep over during Christmas break
Discussion on hosting a “Dessert Fund Raiser”
· Sunday School – Kim teaching with Vicky helping
· Singles – no report
N) Moved by Bob Durston and seconded by Judy Elgert that all reports
be accepted as presented. Carried.
9. New Business
a) How do we pay for Clergy Supervision – no report. Decision to be
be made by Larger Parish Board.
b) Thoughts on permanent name tags? Discussion and something to think about.
Brian Bailey to get prices on name tags.
c) Nominating Committee – Brian Bailey, Brian Elgert and Donna Newton.
10. Next Meeting –
11. Kristin gave the Closing Prayer.
12. Brian adjourned the meeting at 9:10 p.m.
Motion #1 – Moved by Bob Durston and seconded by Donna Newton that Erin Davie
and Paul Strueby’s
request for marriage on
Motion #2 – Moved by Donna Newton and seconded by Heather Cummings that the
Neepawa United Church will request our Christmas Eve service December 24th
to begin between 8:00 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. with preference for 8:00 p.m. Carried.